Different Types of Litter Boxes
Cat litter boxes come in different forms and style and can be grouped as follows;
- Corner litter boxes; are placed in corners of the rooms to provide privacy
- Covered litter boxes; have the sides and tops covered to eliminate intrusion and create privacy.
- Uncovered litter boxes; these could have high sides but the top is open to allow the cat to see the happenings in the area as it eliminates.
- Pan litter boxes; have low sides and resemble the cooking pan easing the entry and exits
- Top entry litter boxes; these have doors on the top side
- Side entry litter boxes; have swing doors that open from both the inside and outside.
- Disposable litter boxes; these litter boxes are for short-term use such as travel and are not meant to last long.
- Manually self-cleaning boxes
- Automatic self-cleaning cat litter boxes
Litter Box Tips And Hints
One disadvantage of keeping a cat is dealing with its litter especially smell and droppings. In addition to handling the litter; scooping and refilling the litter box, you also need to eliminate odor, maintain a clean floor, and train the cat to use the litter box instead of the floor and furniture.
1. Always place the litter box in a quiet but accessible location.
The litter box should be placed in a quiet but accessible place to give the cat a sense of security. It should be away from the feeding area so that the odors do not affect the cats eating behavior. If your home space is limited, strive to place it away from noise and heat such as from washing machines and dryers.
2. Use only the unscented litter.
There are different types and textures of the best cheap cat litter; clay, silica gel, biodegradable, and many others. If your kitten is not using the litter box, try changing the kind of litter you use to find which one pleases it. However, if all do not seem to please, just go for the sand (silica) which is natural and resembles the outdoor soil. You might be interested to read about best self cleaning litter boxes here.
3. Add baking soda to the litter box.
Some cats do not love scented cat litter or applied scents on the litter. To keep the area around the litter box smelling fresh you can sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom of the box. Too much baking soda may irritate the cats of smell and discourage it from using the box.
4. Wash the box frequently to eliminate the sticky odors.
To avoid the building up of permanent odors on the litter box, always try to scoop out the waste at least twice a day. Always wash the box thoroughly at least once a week and put fresh best cat litter.
5. Replace the box annually.
No matter the condition of the box after one year, replace the best kitty litter trays with new ones. This is because it might have hidden weaknesses resulting from the cat’s paws, and scoopers. Any crack on the box can be a fertile breeding ground for bacteria and parasites. However, you should ensure that the new box is exactly the same as the old one lest the cats reject it.
6. Keep It simple
Avoid complicating the best kitty litter box with fancy additions that do not contribute to the better functioning of the litter box. Many complications will make your cat get confused and avoid using the litter box.